Monday, August 31, 2009

Nastia won't be at worlds

Joint statement from USA Gymnastics and Nastia Liukin regarding her withdrawal from consideration for ’09 World Championships Team
Photobucket

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind., Aug. 31, 2009 – 2008 Olympic all-around champion Nastia Liukin of Parker, Texas, has withdrawn her name from consideration for selection to the U.S. Team for the 2009 World Championships, Oct. 13-18, in London, England. The first selection camp for the women’s team is slated to start on Sept. 8 at the Women’s National Team Training Center in Huntsville, Texas.

“I have given a lot of thought to this since the 2009 Visa Championships,” said Liukin, who competed in the Visa Championships in Dallas earlier this month. “Getting back into the gym and competition has been a major goal for me this summer, and I have worked hard to balance my training and obligations. This past year has been wonderful and a whirlwind. With the selection process for Worlds beginning next week, I realized I need to take some time to get myself where I need and want to be competitively. Competing at a World Championships is an incredible experience, and I look forward to supporting my teammates as they prepare for London.

“The 2012 Olympics in London remain an important goal for me. I have more to accomplish in this sport.”

Steve Penny, president of USA Gymnastics, said, “We totally support Nastia’s decision regarding this year’s World Championships. This is just another example of the integrity and sportsmanship that is an integral part of Nastia. We look forward to her continued participation at a high level and are confident that she is making a decision that is in her and the team's best interest.”

Well, in a way, I know that Nastia would hate to appear at a Worlds in less-than-top-notch form, plus it leaves the door open for someone else who has been training all year, so I'd have to say that I'm pleased.

No comments: