Monday, August 17, 2009

Heated Debate!

I am having a somewhat heated discussion with the fellow fanatics on the IG Message Board.

Fishbulb says: Bleh. I don't understand the execution scores at all. It doesn't make sense to me that a short handstand on bars can be worse than a FALL. I might get pummelled for this, but... why does Ivana get such low scores on bars? Before you freak out, mind you I'm not a code expert, and obviously I didn't get the memo about short handstands = death. I can see that her tkatchev is bad, but other than that (and the HANDSTANDS) how does she barely score better than Jana?

AGREED. Neither gymnast is THAT sloppy. Jana gets picked on, bur seriously, from an 8.4 you'd think she was horrid. But how can Ivana only score .2 higher than that? Yes, handstands and low Tcatchev, but... hmm for YEARS these things didn't matter like they do now. which leads me to his second point...

I feel like the FIG picks one new thing every code to focus on, and kind of forgets about everything else. Now it's this no-lunge landing thing. Can I just mention that this may be the stupidest thing to ever happen in gymnastics. IMO. I spent a million hours as a kid practicing throwing my head back and stepping back just the way the elites did it. Now that's gone. WHY? They give some BS answer about this being the only way to show lack of control, but isn't that the judges job? Aren't the supposed to watch and decide if someone is in control or not? I see it controlling the girls into a bunch of snapped ankles.

So, to be clear, the two most important things in gymnastics are handstands on bars, and landing like a dude on floor. Not so much skills, artistry, creativity, expression, staying on the apparatus... It's a few tenths for a fall, and 72380189710980 tenths for a missed handstand. HURUMPF.


Precisely. This year it's execution. Oh well if you're consistent and hit 8-for-8, like hong. If you can land like a guy, and hit handstands, you're good as gold.

And, I'm sorry but it's ludicrous to say that the "lunge" girls have done for years shows a lack of control. I'm not a judge, but even I know the difference between a lunge that shows a controlled landing and one that does not!!

No comments: