Saturday, September 27, 2008

My version of smooth skills

Gymnast.com has been posting a series of what they call "smooth skills," which I think arose because we are seeing gymnasts now throw so many skills but the execution component is lacking, but this was not the case in the previous years. So, I wanted to make my own list, if you will, not just of gymnasts from the 1980s, but just some of my favorite gymnasts as far as execution and form over the past few decades.


Aurelia Dobre, 1987 Worlds, BB Event Finals:
I love the perfect 180 splits, the toe point, and the skills that are all done in connection.


Bi Wenjing, 1997 Worlds, UB Team Finals:
I remember this was the first time the world saw the Ono spin, and how Kathy Johnson marveled at it.



Ling Jie, 1998 BB International Team Championships:
Despite the break in her series, looks at the artistry. Looks how she delivers the choreography. Look at the height in the Onodi. And LOOK at the dive to handstand. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone hit that skill that way.




Mo Huiland, 1995 Worlds, BB Event Finals:
The Chinese choose very simple choreography without a lot of exessive movements but they deliver it so flawlessly. I adore her iconic mount, pressing her handstand down on one hand.


1989 Worlds, Yang Bo, BB Event Finals:
dismount aside, this kind of leaves your breathless. Her signature leap is stunning.


Oksana Omelianchik, 1985 European Championships, FX Event Finals:
The tumbling + the dance = there are no words

No comments: