Saturday, September 27, 2008

Body Type

My fellow gymnastics enthusiant Brian and myself have this theory that some gymnasts receive form deductions that are really for their body types. To be specific, a gymnast with a flat butt and straight or hyperextended legs is going to have a better handstand on bars than a gymnast with a "normal" build, and that's just wrong. But I'm not sure there's a way to prevent it. Case in point. Look here at Ma Yanhong's line:



I have to admit, even Nastia Liukin gets lucky here. She obviusly practices perfect form in that her legs are always together on her Geinger and toes always pointed, but it's also a big gift thrown her way that she has long, slender, straight legs and a flat butt. Compare her build to Andreea Raducan's, who has excellent form, but is so muscular that it can appear her legs are bent. Midway through the routine, Bart Conner even comments on this.


And then there's Kristen Maloney, who doesn't practice good form AND has an awkawrd body that just doesn't have a clean line at all. No offense to K., but she is one of my least favorite gymnasts to watch. Kind of make me cringe. Not light on her feet at all.

No comments: