Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Top Three

Recently, The Couch Gymnast asked its readers to tell her what one thing they coud change about gymnastics, if they could change anything. I emailed her one, then a second thing, but I think I actually have three. OK, in order:

1. The 2-per-country rule (already went over this, affirmative action for sports)
2. 3-up-3-count (already went over this, not the best judge of who the strongest team is)
3. Vault. I actually think vault was harder in the '97-'00 quad, form aside (they didn't critique on form then like they do now). Seriously, you couldn't get by in the aforementioned quad with just a Yurchenko 1.5, and even if that was just one of your vaults, it was only worth a 9.7 (or 9.8?). Not to pick on Nastia, but really? She won an Olympic gold medal with that vault? Yeah it was pretty much perfect but in my opinion, she really needed more difficulty.

Which kind of reminds me of something else. I'm all for promoting good form. But really, Nastia getting a 9.2-something in Beijing for her stuck 1.5 Yurchenko? Eh? I watched the 2005 National last night and A-Sac turned is one of the most terrific floor exercises ever, with a triple twist that will rival Maria Olaru -- no leg crossing, no bent knees, got it all the way around -- and got a 9.9. Tim & Elfi went nuts, but moreover, she DESERVED it. Do a good routine, get rewarded for it. During that telecast, Tim mentioned that he wished the old scoring system would return. I wonder how he feels now?

No comments: